Since we are new to chicken “farming”, we wanted to incorporate our love of essential oils in our poultry care! We knew that Lemon Essential Oil is awesome for its cleaning properties and it is all natural, so we decided to use it to deodorize our chicken coop!
This spray works great, is safe for our chickens, and best of all it is 100% chemical free!
- Using a 16 ounce spray bottle – glass is best – fill 1/2 way with white vinegar
- add 25 drops of Lemon Essential Oil – you can buy it here – swirling the bottle to mix
- Fill the rest of the bottle with water
We clean our nesting boxes, roosting bars, and for general coop clean up !
*If you would like more information on how to get your hands on essential oils or how to use them, you can contact me here !
We are doing a series on “chicken questions” – things that some readers wanted to know! Although we are in no way chicken experts, quite the contrary, we are learning as we go! These questions are helping us also.
Here is a list of the questions we have been asked so far…we will be answering the first one on “Fun Fact Friday”! Each Friday during our series we will learn some fun facts – the first series will be facts about chickens with these questions from our readers !
- How did you decide how many chickens you need? I mean how many would fit?
- Are there regulations in your area for how many you can own in proportion to the size of the property you own?
- Do you ever sell chicks or eggs? Is that regulated at all?
- Are there any common chicken practices that you believe to be harmful or just less-than-ideal? Certain coop setups, feed, nesting materials, etc.
- What would be your number one tip for new chicken owners?
So stay tuned for this Friday when we tackle the first question…how we determined the number of chickens we thought was appropriate for our little urban homestead!
See you Friday!
We have had a lot of people ask us “chicken questions” so I thought this might be a great blog topic !! We are still learning the ins and outs of being chicken parents ourselves, so this should prove to be a fun assignment !
All I need for my readers and Facebook followers to do is – Ask Questions ! Ask anything you are wanting to know about chickens, coops, feed – anything, and I’ll do a little research if I don’t know the answer and then we will have a Q&A session on the blog !
I look forward to hearing your questions and researching the answers !